Catholic Charities Serving Portage & Stark Counties
Catholic Charities Serving Portage & Stark Counties
Potential clients are encouraged to call ahead before seeking services in person.
The Canton office takes calls for rent and utility assistance by phone, typically Monday – Friday starting at 9:00am until appointments have been exhausted for that day.
Callers for other Canton office services are encouraged to call after 10:00am.
Callers for services at ADS or in Portage County may call anytime during business hours.
We operate three service sites. A range of social services are available for Portage County residents at our Ravenna office and for Stark County residents at our Canton office. Adult Day Services are available at our facility in Louisville. More details regarding these services are available on this website.
Some services are common to more than one site while other services are unique to one site. Eligibility and procedures to access services vary by program and by site. Those seeking services are strongly encouraged to call ahead.
BASIC NEEDS ASSISTANCE
Basic needs assistance, including those services typically referred to as emergency assistance (EA), is at the core of our mission and is offered to those in need within the Portage and Stark County communities. In many cases, we also seek to provide case management services and referrals. Services include:
- Utility assistance
- Rent assistance
- Mortgage assistance (Stark)
- Food pantry
- Community Cupboard (personal hygiene and household cleaning items)
- Seasonal assistance (e.g. Christmas gifts, back-to-school materials (Portage))
- Birth certificates and photo ID’s
- Transportation (bus tokens and, in special circumstances, longer distance bus fare)
- Vehicle services (help with car repair/payments for employment/medical reasons (Portage))
FIRST STEP FAMILY SUPPORT
The Catholic Charities First Step Center for Family Support program provides assistance to low income pregnant women and families with young children in obtaining infant supplies such as formula, diapers, and clothing; case management; parenting support and education; and related referrals.
Additional material assistance and support is available for foster parents and kinship caregivers in Portage County, through the Foster & Kinship Care Support Program at our Ravenna office.
ADULT DAY SERVICES
Our Adult Day Services (ADS) program offers a safe and secure environment for older adults in need of supervision or assistance with activities of daily living while family caregivers are at work or attending to other responsibilities. We enhance the quality of life for our participants by providing opportunities for socialization, planned activities, meals and basic health services in a caring environment. ADS also provides caregivers much needed respite. Our well-maintained facility is located on the St. Joseph Senior Living campus in Louisville.
Catholic Charities’ Emergency Furniture Program, in partnership with the Habitat for Humanity Restore, is intended for individuals or households with an emergency need for furniture caused by a recent, documentable event.
Examples of qualifying events include, but are not limited to, exiting a homeless or domestic violence shelter or recovering from a home disaster such as a house-fire.
“NEXT STEP” MINISTRIES
While basic needs assistance represents our core mission, we also recognize the benefit of helping people take the “next step” toward a more stable and self-sustaining life. We have developed a number of services which fall into this category. Generally speaking, these ministries are relatively low volume/high intensity in comparison to our other services, and they are unavailable at times (e.g. due to COVID-19 restrictions or limited demand). Services include:
- Project ASSISI provides case management, short-term financial assistance, resources, and referrals to help qualifying individuals and families achieve long-term financial stability.
- Stark Pathways to Success seeks to assist Stark County residents who are pursuing higher education while dealing with challenging life circumstances. Eligible participants are low income, are enrolled or enrolling at an accredited Stark County college and have at least one minor child in the household. We help reduce barriers through financial support, counseling in life management, and the free course “Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World”.
- Steps to Opportunity, a pilot program offered at our Portage County location, is aimed at providing childcare assistance for parents who want to return to work. Families that fall just outside the parameters of childcare assistance with Job and Family Services may qualify for childcare subsidies through this program, in addition to programing that offers the opportunity to develop financial skills, parenting abilities, and community involvement. For more information, click here.
- Cooking Matters at the Store, offered in our Stark County location, is a guided grocery store tour, teaching participants skills for buying healthy foods on a budget. Sessions are scheduled at local grocery stores or at our Canton office location. Also, pop-up sessions can be conducted at alternate locations.
Volunteer opportunities are available at our Stark County office. Some opportunities are detailed in the link below. If you are interested in volunteering or would like more information on upcoming openings at this location, please contact Angela at (330) 491-0896, ext. 101; or info@CatholicCharitiesPS.org.
Information regarding volunteer opportunities in our Portage County, Ravenna location will be coming soon!