Catholic Charities Regional Agency
serving Columbiana, Mahoning and Trumbull Counties
Catholic Charities Regional Agency
serving Columbiana, Mahoning and Trumbull Counties
REGIONAL AGENCY SERVICE SITES
Domestic Violence Program
PO Box 262
Lisbon, OH 44432
(330) 420-0036 24-Hour Crisis Line
Services offered at Catholic Charities Regional Agency
- Adoption and Foster Care Information and Referral
- Basic Needs Assistance
- Down Payment Assistance / Home Ownership
- Ex-Offender/ Prison Re-entry / Linkage Services
- Financial Education
- First Step / Pregnancy Support Services
- Housing Counseling
- Homeless Outreach& Rapid Rehousing
- SOAR Project / Benefit Bank
- Senior Support Services
- Catholic Charities Senior Center
- Christina House Domestic Violence Program
- Information & Referral
- Voice of Hope Homeless Shelter
ADOPTION AND FOSTER CARE INFORMATION & REFERRAL
Effective July 2016, the Agency has closed its Adoption and Foster Care Program. We will no longer conduct home studies or accept custody of infants, nor facilitate placements.
The agency will continue to maintain all present adoption files that the agency possesses, and will continue to provide information on Adoption Searches in accordance with Ohio laws. Non-identifying information will be shared unless a court order is present to otherwise share records.
Information packets will be sent to anyone inquiring on adoption.
Pregnant women and families will still be seen through the agency’s First Step Program.
BASIC NEEDS ASSISTANCE
This is a specific program for individuals and families to provide financial assistance in crises. Services provided include:
- Assessment of the client’s immediate needs.
- Provision of available financial assistance when appropriate.
- Connecting the client with community resources to meet the need within the context of a plan.
- Provide advocacy service for individuals with other community resources.
Those seeking help with utilities, food, prescriptions, toiletries, cleaning supplies, diapers, formula, etc. are welcome to contact the agency Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm.
- In most cases, you will need to schedule an appointment.
- Some locations have limited walk in hours; call for details.
- Applicants should bring a photo ID, proof of income, and information regarding the request – i.e. utility bill/disconnection notice/ eviction notice/ lease, etc.
- Assistance is typically limited to one time in twelve months.
- Gently used clothing for children, household items, cleaning & paper products and hygiene products are available at the various sites. Please call the specific site for details and availability.
- Holiday assistance is provided based on sponsorship resources. Specific holiday assistance information can be obtained at each site.
DOWN PAYMENT ASSISTANCE / HOME OWNERSHIP
Down Payment Assistance/Homeownership Program
Catholic Charities Housing Opportunities has a Homeownership Program that works collaboratively with our HUD certified housing counselors in the Diocese of Youngstown. This program offers down-payment assistance, pre– and post-purchase housing counseling, and home maintenance training.
Depending on the cost of the home and the amount you need to borrow, you may qualify for up to $3,000.00 in assistance toward down-payment and closing costs. You must contribute 1% of the mortgage cost.
Catholic Charities Housing Opportunities Homeownership Program gives you the information you need to help you succeed as a home owner.
Advantages/disadvantages of homeownership:
Monthly spending analysis
Costs of purchasing a home
Stable employment and income
Shopping for a home:
Sources of leads
House evaluation checklist
Negotiating the purchase price
Calculating available cash and assets:
Analysis of gross/net income
Mortgage loan terms
Understanding your obligations
Life as a homeowner:
Protecting your investment
Home maintenance / home repairs
Household budgeting / Homeowner equity
EX-OFFENDER / PRISON RE-ENTRY/ LINKAGES SERVICES
- This project works with people leaving the criminal justice system with mental illness and at risk of homelessness.
- People leaving the State Correctional System or the County Jail or Community Corrections Association are eligible for the program. Specific concerns are for employment, housing and linkage to treatment and other community resources.
Develops and enhances money management skills.
- Individual one-on-one and group sessions are available to provide education on budgeting, credit, credit reporting, scams, predatory lending, and the importance of establishing a savings plan. Group sessions may be tailored to meet the group’s needs.
FIRST STEP / PREGNANCY SUPPORT SERVICES
This is a specific program for any person experiencing a pregnancy, or their significant others, that they deem a crisis situation. Generally it is for families with children 0 to 3 years old.
The First Step Program provides information to birth parents needed to help them plan for themselves and their unborn child. This service offers:
- Supportive case management
- Limited emergency financial assistance
- Connects clients with community resources to help them plan to parent.
- Provide information concerning the adoption option (all phases), as well as the parenting option.
- All Baby Resources provides needed baby items, diapers, equipment and clothing as available.
Catholic Charities Regional Agency is proud to partner with Making Kids Count, a 501(c)(3) non-proﬁt organization located in Youngstown, dedicated to serving the most vulnerable children in North East Ohio. To ﬁnd out more about Making Kids Count visit their website at www.makingkidscount.org or like them on Facebook @MakingKidsCount.
HUD certified program which assists with a broad range of housing concerns.
- Foreclosure/default counseling is available for those who have fallen behind on their mortgage payment. A housing counselor will serve as an intermediary between the client and the lender, exploring all options which may help prevent the foreclosure.
- Pre-purchase counseling educates prospective homeowners about affordability and the home buying process.
- Down payment assistance is available depending upon grant funds.
HOMELESS OUTREACH & RAPID REHOUSING
- Homeless outreach helps individuals and families get re-housed as quickly as possible, and connected to other community resources.
- Those who are homeless may visit the agency during business hours on Monday through Friday. Every effort will be made to have homeless individuals meet with a caseworker, but please be aware that the caseworker may not be immediately available due to previously scheduled appointments.
- SOAR Specialist – Assists with Social Security Disability or SSI applications for those who are in jeopardy of homelessness, and diagnosed with a mental disability.
- Benefit Bank – Various staff are trained to assist clients to assess eligibility for services offered through the state system. A web-based program determines eligibility for government programs.
SENIOR SUPPORT SERVICES
Supportive Services for Seniors is a program that provides social services, case management, advocacy, transportation and resource networking on behalf of adults, age 60 and over.
This service provides client assessment, casework, face-to-face interviews, collateral interviews, service delivery, advocacy with community resources, assistance with entitlement program applications, and networking with formal and informal support systems on behalf of clients. Some limited prescription assistance is available and referrals are made for assistance through pharmaceutical company programs. It is a Passport provider program and a provider of Levy services in Mahoning County.
CATHOLIC CHARITIES SENIOR CENTER
Catholic Charities Senior Center provides socialization, recreation, and resources to senior citizens in southern Columbiana County. The Center is working on initiatives to increase community outreach including a monthly community meal open to the public.
The center provides services to seniors that include on-site and home delivered meals in the immediate East Liverpool/ Wellsville/ Calcutta area; telephone reassurance, recreation, socialization and fellowship; as well as assistance with emergency situations.
CHRISTINA HOUSE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PROGRAM
Scope: Christina House is a domestic violence shelter for women and children in Columbiana County. The program offers crisis intervention, temporary shelter, a victim’s legal advocate, case management and emotional support. *Advocacy includes assistance with protection orders.
This program has qualified staff and associates to provide comprehensive programming for women and children who are victims of domestic violence. Shelter staff participates in networking and community programs to raise awareness and advocate for domestic violence victims.
The staff ensures the moral and legal rights of shelter residents; maintains the confidentiality of clients, as well as the confidentiality of the shelter location.
- Conditions of Eligibility: Any female resident of Columbiana County and her children who are in need of assistance including shelter due to domestic violence.
- This program allows for a 30-day stay.
- The Shelter can be accessed through a 24-hour crisis phone line at (330) 420-0036. The Shelter is at a confidential location. There is no cost for the services.
INFORMATION AND REFERRAL SERVICES
Staff and associates provide clients with other resources available within the community. Staff works to collaborate and network within other community programs and services to assist clients in getting resources and benefits they need.
VOICE OF HOPE SHELTER
The Catholic Charities Voice of Hope Shelter is an alternative shelter available for people not able to access existing emergency shelter in Mahoning County.
The Voice of Hope Shelter is available to help households with children as well as a temporary emergency shelter for disabled.
The Voice of Hope Shelter provides a one level, 7-bedroom facility with a common area for kitchen and lounging, on the south side of Youngstown, on a bus line and near other services. The shelter is a 30-day stay with our Rapid Rehousing staff assisting in permanent placement as quickly as possible.