The First Step to Service Program is a service-learning opportunity for students developed by Catholic Charities, Diocese of Youngstown.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Youngstown are part of a larger network of organizations and ministries that serve the needs of others as Jesus would.
The First Step to Service Program benefits schools and students alike by strengthening the connection between Catholic Charities and school aged youth; providing opportunities for students to deepen their faith; cultivating service-minded young people.
First Step to Service offers the following benefits to Catholic schools in the Diocese of Youngstown:
- A strengthening of the connection between Catholic Charities and school aged youth.
- Opportunities for students to deepen their faith by better understanding their responsibility to help the “least of their brothers and sisters” in need.
- Cultivation of service-minded young people.
- Opportunities for students to learn more about their call as Catholics and as Christians to care for those in need.
- Worksheets on various topics related to Catholic Charities, along with activities, stories, pictures, discussion topics and practical suggestions for engaging students in the work of Catholic Charities and community service projects.
- Social media opportunities for teachers to showcase how their students are using First Step to Service.
- Carefully selected give away items related to presented topics.